HISTORY OF NCC
The National Cadet Corps can be considered as a successor of the University Officers Training Corps which was established by the British in 1942. During the World War II, the UOTC never came up to the expectations set by the British. This led to the idea that some better schemes should be formed, which could train more young men in a better way, even during peace times. A committee headed by Pundit H.N. Kunzru recommended a cadet organisation to be established in schools and colleges in a National level. The National Cadet Corps Act was accepted by the Governor General and on 16th July 1948 the National Cadet Corps came into existence.
During the 1965 and 1971 wars with Pakistan, NCC cadets were the second line of defence. They organised camps to assist the ordnance factories, supplying arms and ammunition to the front, and also were used a patrol parties to capture the enemy para-troopers. The NCC cadets also worked hand in hand with the Civil Defence authorities and actively took part in rescue work and traffic control. After the 1965 & 1971 Indo-Pak wars the NCC syllabus was revised. Rather than being the second line of defence, NCC syllabus laid a greater stress on developing qualities of leadership and Officer-like qualities. The military training which the NCC cadets received was reduced and greater importance was given to other areas like social service and youth-management.
NCC DIRECTORATE MAHARASHTRA
NCC Directorate Maharashtra was raised as the No 1 Circle NCC on 25 Oct 1949. The designation was later changed to No 1 Circle Mumbai. In the year 1962 it was upgraded to NCC Directorate Maharashtra. The Directorate has seven group HQ and provides NCC coverage to all the districts of Maharashtra State.
Presently there are 60 NCC units, which provide coverage to a total of 16 universities, 615 colleges and 815 schools. The total enrolled strength of the cadets in the Directorate is approximately one lacs.